Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Personal Best


I have had the opportunity to lead in a variety of settings. Whether it be in my Boy Scout Troop, Church calling, or even at school. But the one area in which I have been able to shine as a leader is in the group of my online friends. We meet in a program called Team Speak, where we chat with one another. We all play the same video game and we have a rigid leadership structure. So whenever we play together, we know who to follow, who gives commands, and who we should listen to. In this specific game, it is very easy to get lost in the storm of voice that washes of the communication channels. Our outfit, however is one of the most organized outfit in the game. The generals in our outfit, including me, are able to navigate the other outfits high commands and successfully increase cooperation on the game. Being able to control a group of people in a combat centered video game is extremely difficult because the only communication we have is either the in game chat, or Team Speak. In the game, there are alerts where our faction has to scramble to capture areas, defend areas, and effectively use resources to defend from enemy vehicles and other online players. I have been the squad and platoon leader in many of these instances and I have had to control what vehicles we use, where to send our troops, and how to communicate with our friends. I have learned that a leader cannot be demanding, but gentle, that a leader has to effectively communicate his or her idea to make anything happen but perhaps most importantly is that a leader has to be personable.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fascinating post on multiple levels, Oliver. I am intrigued by the suggested concept of "virtual leadership," essentially "how does one lead in technological rather than face-to-face environments?" Though I do not understand this space at all, it appears that you clearly see some of the traits and aspects of leadership we discussed in class evident in your digital environment. You seem to have the ability to identify a need or opportunity, enlist followers, and achieve lasting results. I am curious as to how this direction is set -- I presume it is done via written exchanges, which makes for some true challenges in how tone, appreciation, and urgency are conveyed.

    Well conceived and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oliver,

    This post is very unique and interesting to me. I find that comparing leadership in virtual atmospheres to real life leadership interactions is thought-provoking. It seems as though the virtual world emphasizes the level of patience a leader must possess. Due to the lack of being face-to-face, I would think it would be difficult to have your voice heard and leading the group would be an antagonizing process, however it seems as though you have dedicated and focused followers that listen to the leaders. I myself have found it more difficult at times to lead over the net specially in group chats or group texts. It is fascinating to hear about effectively leading in an organized virtual context.

    ReplyDelete